You may view the ruling FAR 61.159 and 61.160 on the FAA website. In addition, the ERAU Flight Department has created a video that helps explain the restricted ATP rules.
It is a new Airline Transport Pilot/Certified Training Program (ATP-CTP) course that will be required for everyone who wishes to obtain an ATP or ATP-R certificate. The ATP-CTP will require 10 hours of simulation time (six full-motion and four FTD) and 30 hours of ground training. The course must be taken before the ATP Knowledge Exam. The ATP-CTP course requirement begins Aug. 1, 2014.
  • B.S. in Aeronautical Science
  • B.S. in Aeronautics

To be eligible for the ATP-R:

  • Graduate from one of the approved degree majors (see "What ERAU Degrees Are Approved by the FAA?")
  • Complete Instrument flight and ground training under Part 141 at ERAU
  • Complete Commercial flight and ground training under Part 141 at ERAU
  • After Aug. 1, 2014, complete ATP-CTP (Airline Transport Pilot/Certified Training Program) at ERAU
  • Take ATP Knowledge Exam at an authorized FAA Testing Center
  • If you have completed the prescribed 60 credit hours, build your time to 1,000 hours with 200 Cross Country hours (as well as the other requirements of FAR 61.159)
  • If you have completed between 30 and 60 of the prescribed credit hours, build your time to 1,250 hours with 200 Cross Country hours
  • Take the Practical Exam for the ATP certificate
You will have to have completed your Instrument and Commercial flight and ground courses on the ERAU campus and graduate from one of the approved degrees.
If you graduate from an FAA-approved degree program on an ERAU campus, you will be eligible to receive your ATP-R at 1,000 or 1,250 hours versus an unrestricted ATP at 1,500 hours. You also will be eligible for hiring by a Part 121 carrier between 250 and 500 hours sooner.
If you graduate from an approved major and you complete 60 credits then you are eligible for the ATP-R at 1,000 hours. If you have completed between 30-59 credits, then you will need 1,250 hours. Please refer to the current FAA Letter of Authorization to determine your standing regarding approved courses and credit hours.
As long as the university and the courses you completed at that university were authorized by the FAA, the credit will transfer (assuming that the courses are transferable to your ERAU degree program.) In order for Instrument and Commercial flight training to be transferred, it must have been completed at an approved university under an approved FAA Part 141 training program.
You will need to take the ATP-CTP course, which will have an exam included. This course will be mandatory for all ATP and ATP-R applicants after Aug. 1, 2014. The course will prepare you for the ATP Knowledge Exam. After you take the ATP Knowledge Exam and once you have built your hours to 1,000 (or 1,250), you will need to take the FAA ATP Practical Exam.
Yes, you will need 1,500 hours and 200 Cross Country hours.
Once you meet the requirements under FAR 61.159 (1500 hours), the ATP will no longer be restricted and will be valid indefinitely as long are you are current.
Yes, the rule puts in place a new course requirement (ATP-CTP) and sets a new minimum flight time for hiring in the airline industry.
The initial legislation required a 1,500-hour ATP. This FAA rule lowers that requirement by up to 500 hours, resulting in ERAU students being eligible for hiring by the industry sooner.
With the ATP-R, you will not be authorized to act as PIC at a U.S. Part 121 air carrier. However, the knowledge and skill requirements are the same for both.
This is a case-by-case situation. If you completed Instrument and Commercial ground and flight training on the ERAU campus and graduated from an FAA-approved degree program, then you should submit an application.
No, you have to complete one of the FAA-approved degree programs.
You are not eligible. You must take both the ground-school courses and flight on the ERAU campus. You may get an ATP-R with any (or no) degree if you have 1,500 hours and 200 cross-country hours.
No, it is the same practical exam, but a type rating is specific to an aircraft while an ATP is a general certificate. It is possible to get an ATP and a type rating during the same practical exam.
For current students who have not yet graduated, it automatically began in Fall 2013. Students who graduated prior to Fall 2013 will need to submit an application on the ERAU website. ERAU Records and Registration will audit transcripts, and if you meet the qualifications, they will place an FAA-approved statement explaining your eligibility for an ATP-R on your transcript.
No, both Instrument and Commercial ground schools and flight must be completed at ERAU.
50 hours.
No, you would not qualify since you did not do both your Instrument and Commercial ground and flight courses at ERAU.
If you changed your major to another FAA-approved degree program, then you would qualify for an ATP-R at 1,000 hours or 1,250 hours depending on the coursework that you completed. If you changed your major to an unapproved degree program, you will not qualify.
No. This is no longer the case. Authorization was not renewed so those who completed that training are no longer eligible for the rATP.
The FAA did not approve any master’s degree programs — only Associate and Bachelor’s degrees. However, ERAU has applied for an exemption for the Master’s of Science in Aeronautics — Professional Pilot Concentration. That master’s degree program requires more than 30 credit hours of approved course work.
Graduates who need to complete the ATP-CTP course can register for the course once it is available at ERAU. However, you must have completed the prerequisites for the course (same prerequisites for FA 420.) ERAU anticipates the course to be available in mid-summer 2014.
The new university would have to have an FAA-authorized and approved degree program. The new university would be responsible for certifying your records to prove that you completed some of the approved coursework at ERAU.
It is not specialty specific — you must complete 60 hours of approved coursework to get your ATP-R in 1,000 hours.
You would not qualify and would have to comply with the 1,500 hours.
Anywhere. For U.S. Part 121 air carrier operations, it is required.
No, you will not qualify.
You may get an ATP-R with 1,500 total hours and 200 Cross Country without graduating from an approved degree program. An unrestricted ATP requires 500 hours.
You would not be eligible since you did not complete both the Instrument and Commercial ground courses and flight courses at ERAU.
No, the requirement states that both Instrument and Commercial ground schools and flight need to be completed at the institution of higher learning.
No, unless it was completed at a university that has an FAA-approved degree program under Part 141.
Yes, but you would have to complete the Instrument and Commercial courses at ERAU (all activities) along with the approved course work. It may be more beneficial for you to build your time and take the ATP.
Yes, the university would have to have an FAA-approved degree program for an Associate or Bachelor’s degree to qualify.
A frozen ATP is a European certificate that can be issued any time after the European Commercial Certificate. The ATP-R is a U.S. certificate that is very specific at 1,000 or 1,250 hours. The ATP is 1,500 hours.

The difference is a European frozen ATP and ATP-R are for second-in-command privileges only in air carriers. An ATP is required to be PIC.
Yes, currently ERAU is developing the ATP-CTP course that will prepare our students to take the ATP Knowledge Exam. The ATP-CTP course will cost $5,000.

Once the ATP-CTP course is completed (and you have the specific flight time), you are eligible to take the ATP Practical Test.

ERAU already has an approved ATP course in the DA 42L aircraft. The cost of this course is approximately $5,300.

Discussions on the possibility of an ATP/type rating in the CRJ 200 are ongoing. Most airlines will provide an ATP course in their initial training program.
No one can be legally hired by a U.S. Part 121 air carrier currently if they do not meet the new requirements. Airlines who incorrectly hire applicants who do not meet the requirements will be subject to FAA certification and/or administration penalty actions. Pilots are required to know and understand the regulations as well.
Most airlines plan to give the applicants their ATP and required ratings during new hire training that are airline specific.
U.S. only.
If you are working for a U.S. company, you will need the ATP-R or ATP.

Contact Us

3700 Willow Creek Road
Prescott, AZ 86301