This laboratory supports courses in the College of Engineering curriculum in materials science and engineering. Additionally, it serves several faculty research programs in materials science and structures analysis, including studies in fatigue, fracture, and other failure mechanisms, ballistics analysis, composite mechanics, and engineering education.
Equipment in the laboratory is intended for preparation of materials for qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Furnaces, maximum temperature 2200° F, (3)
- Buehler SimpliMet II mounting press
- Buehler SimpliMet XPS1 mounting system
- Buehler Cast n’ Vac epoxy mounting vacuum system
- Buehler DouMet II belt grinder
- Buehler Metaserve grinder/polishers (3)
- Buehler UltraMet ultrasonic cleaner
- Buehler SamplMet 2 abrasive cutter
- Buehler IsoMet 1000 low speed cutter
- Fume hood
- Cryofab 50 liter liquid nitrogen pressurized dewar
- CES EduPack 2019 materials selector software
- Charpy impact test stand